- The University of Mary Washington will comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations, including Virginia’s Executive Order 82, Greening of State Government.
- The University of Mary Washington will identify and implement practices that emphasize the environmental management hierarchy of pollution prevention (source reduction, reuse, recycling, energy use, water use, waste reduction, treatment and safe disposal and travel); specific efforts in this area are identified below.
- The University of Mary Washington will continue to improve its practices and procedures in order to achieve improved sustainability.
- The University of Mary Washington will openly communicate to all employees and the public its identified environmental impacts, objectives and the programs to achieve them as well as the results of these efforts.
- The University of Mary Washington will devote resources to the management and achievement of its sustainability objectives.
- The University of Mary Washington will encourage all employees to implement, maintain and uphold these policies.
- The University of Mary Washington will encourage sustainability stewardship and foster collaboration by exchanging information and encouraging open communication with state, local and federal agencies, regulated and non-regulated communities, the general public and the university community.
- To support these goals and objectives, the University of Mary Washington has incorporated sustainability into the University’s strategic plan.
- Every University department and individual community member has a personal responsibility for implementing these policies and principals.