UMW is constantly working to improve and expand our ongoing waste mitigation efforts on campus. As a University it is critical to identify the barriers within waste management to properly address the associated environmental impact. Sustainable waste management & minimization efforts are crucial because they
- Help prevent greenhouse gas emissions
- Conserves energy and water
- Resupplies valuable raw material
- Supports the development of new, green technologies
- And more!
Remember that Reduce & Reuse come before Recycle! Before recycling – have you considered…
- Do I need to use/dispose of this item?
- Can I be reused?
- If the answer is no to the above – how can I properly recycle this?
UMW Sustainability is working to effectively improve our recycling operations on campus, both institutionally and personally. Join us in making an effort to improve our university’s recycling impact!
UMW has single-stream recycling which the following materials can all be placed in the same bin:
- Cardboard (must be flattened)
- Paper (board, bags, newspaper, etc.)
- Plastic (must be #1 – 5 or #7)
- Aluminum and bi-metal cans (must be cleaned of all food waste)
We DO NOT accept:
- Plastic Bags (In some residence halls, recycling must be bagged – view here)
- Food Waste or Food-Contaminated items such as pizza boxes
- Tissues, napkins, paper towels
- Packing Materials