Work 40 hours a week over the summer, housing provided, and make a difference!
Job Description: Sustainability Coordinator at the University of Mary Washington
The Sustainability Coordinator will act as a specialist in the assigned program area of Sustainability. The position will perform, lead, and oversee a wide variety of moderate to complex programs and operational support duties. The goal of the University Sustainability Coordinator is to facilitate communication to the University community through website publication, event planning, and outreach; a secondary goal of the position is to support the UMW recycling program.
Interested? Fill out this application.
- Development, oversight and implementation of Sustainability program/initiatives
- Work independently to give support to and develop sustainability programs directed at the UMW student body, faculty, staff and community outreach
- Develop and coordinate involvement in established University events and programs such as: Freshman Orientation, Sustainability Day, Recyclemania, UMW Green Fee proposal, and other programs as needed.
- Serve as co-chair for the President’s Council on Sustainability, act as liaison and leader of UMW Eco Reps and serve as liaison to the Ecology Club and other interested and pertinent student groups.
- Develop events that connect the message of Sustainability with other campaigns or projects that educate the UMW community in an engaging way
- Upkeep of umw.edu/recycle and umw.edu/sustainability websites with event notices, announcements, links to programs, and general site maintenance
- Serve as communications director for the Facilities Services Sustainability Team: write articles about events for website, contact local press for publicity, work with University Relations
- Develop presentation opportunities, create presentations, and give lectures as needed
- Network and develop relationships with a diversity of University departments
- Assist in managing the UMW recycling program
- Develop and implement educational opportunities about recycling, working in concert with residence halls, academic and administrative offices, students, faculty, and staff as needed
- Knowledge and understanding of Sustainability
- Excellent knowledge of and ability to work with campus administration, departments, and organizations
- Computer skills – Microsoft Word, Excel, Power point literate
- Strong communication skills – verbal and written
- Website managing capabilities or a desire and ability to learn
- Knowledge of and ability to work with Social Media
- Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain records
- Ability to research and develop resources
- Ability to plan events, and work with groups on coordinated projects
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate moderately complex programs/initiatives
- Ability to connect with a wide range of individuals and groups inside and outside the University