CONGRATULATIONS, VIRGINIA HALL! YOU’VE WON THE RECYCLING CONTEST FOR 2015! GET READY FOR SOME FREE ICE CREAM!
You recycled 2,940lbs of recycling; that’s 17lbs per person in the first four weeks of the semester. Keep it up!
FIRST YEAR RESIDENCE HALL RECYCLING CONTEST
August 24 – September 17, 2015
First Year residents will compete to see which Res Hall will recycle the highest weight per person. Recycling will be tallied weekly and posted online. The Grand Winner will be announced Family Weekend! The winning Residence Hall will receive Ice Cream for all!
If you live in Russell, Bushnell, Randolph, Mason, Virginia, Custis, or Westmoreland Halls rally your hall mates to recycle. Recycling at UMW is single stream so no sorting, ALL IN ONE.
The Recycling rules are simple:
- Residents are responsible for the weekly removal of recyclables from the central collection containers on each hall
- Bagged Recyclables from the hall containers are placed in the Recycling Toters located outside each Res Hall
- All recyclables must be secured in bags when placed in the Toters, orange recycling bags are provided but other bags may be used
- Un-bagged materials will not count toward the contest weight
- The highest total weight of recyclables per capita for the contest period wins
Recyclables include: glass bottles and jars, bi-metal food cans (veggies, tuna), aluminum cans, foil, pie pans and food containers, plastic food containers, some takeout containers and most plastic bottles (plastics #1-5 & 7, no need to remove tops and lids), office paper, magazines, newspaper, paper board boxes (cereal box, snack boxes etc.), cardboard, food containers that are rinsed, clean pizza boxes – for a complete list visit On-Campus Recycling
Have questions? Want to be involved? Contact Morgan James, UMW Sustainability Coordinator or Joni Wilson, director Landscape and Grounds at firstname.lastname@example.org
Need recycling supplies (containers, signs, bags)? Please send work requests through the Facilities Services Work Management System.