It’s important to remember that while recycling can be beneficial and is better than not recycling, it is NOT the answer. The answer really is simple, be conscious about what you’re purchasing and it’s environmental impact and REDUCE your consumption of goods. Just think, if you don’t produce the waste in the first place, you won’t have to risk it going to the landfill!
Don’t know where to start? Check out these tips on how to reduce your waste!
- Carry a reusable water bottle and coffee tumbler
- Use reusable tote bags when shopping
- Replace your box of tissues with washable handkerchiefs
- Print double sided
- Avoid purchasing food packaged in plastic
- Make your own toiletries with common household goods
- Make your own cleaning products out of vinegar and baking soda
- Refuse junk mail by contacting providers and putting signage on your mailbox
- Compost your food scraps
- Instead of giving physical gifts, give experiences
- Buy all clothes and goods second hand
- Adopt a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle
Waste Reduction Resources: